I watched the confirmation hearings last week, and was completely disgusted by Graham and Sessions...disgusted, but not surprised. You see, both Lindsey and Sessions are good ole boys for the good ole South with a capital "S". Lindsey is senator from SC, my home state :( , where they still fly the Confederate flag in front of the state house in order to commemorate the good ole days of the 3/5 Compromise, and later when the states had the right to discriminate against whomever they wanted.
I am a citizen of this not so great state. In fact, I'm from a small town near Dillon,SC. You know, Dillon, the town of Ty'Sheoma Bethea, the little girl Obama mentioned at his first State of the Union? The town where she attends a dilapidated school in a state where the governor likes to "hike the Appalachian Trail" in his spare time. Yeah, I'm from a town a mere 15 minutes away from Dillon, where the schools are in similar disarray. A town full of poor black folks, where me and my siblings are among the few who were blessed to be able to get out, get to college, and pursue advanced degrees. Here is a place where members of the school board--all black members and one white lady-- fired the Super for being an underqualifedneverbeenaneducatorwhitewomanwhodidnotcareaboutblackchildren who systematically made sure that the poor white and black kids were left behind. For example, she created another public HS of the arts and sciences for the wealthier white children in the County. You see, when upper middle class white parents could no longer afford to send their kids to the private school, the Super decided to create a special place for them to go. A place that was not open to the smart black kids at the big public HS...probably because they would have changed the complexion of the school. She also did a host of other things that did not benefit all of the children in the county...so they fired her ass. Now get this, state Rep. Doug Jennings decided to get involved on behalf of the fired Super, and the poor white citizens of Marlboro County who felt they had been shafted by these black rebelrousers. Of course, he was no where to be found when the then Super was re-allocating funds to this new HS, while not creating opportunities for the majority of the children in the County. Oh, and our good friend Doug, he's a Democrat. Yep...you see, in the south, they are all the same...a rose by any other name.
I'm rambling...but I say all that to say, I really do love TWIB, and he hit the nail right on the head with this one.

No comments:
Post a Comment