The Red Pump Project

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

National Women and Girls’ HIV/AIDS Awareness Day



National Women and Girls' HIV/AIDS Awareness Day is celebrated on March 10th of every year to spark discussion and raise awareness of the impact of HIV/AIDS on the lives of women and girls.

Women of color are disproportionately affected by HIV/AIDS, and AIDS is the leading cause of death of Black women between the ages of 25 and 34. I could have been one of those women.

Last year, I posted HIV/AIDS stats for women of color in the Southeast United States, and North Carolina specifically. This year, I'm taking a more personal approach. To see last year's post, click here.

It was spring semester. My friends and I were preparing to go out to this party, and the alcohol was flowing. We were drinking and having a great time. I didn't think I had much to drink, but it was more than enough to impair my judgment. Anyway, we're at the party drinking, dancing, and having a great time. I hook up with a guy I know from around campus, but I don't really know him. And we go back to my room. Now this is when things get fuzzy... I remember telling him to get a condom, but he didn't have one, and neither I nor my roomie had any in the room. That didn't stop us....

I woke up that next morning scared to death. I told my roomie about it, and she took me to the clinic for the Morning After Pill. I didn't give a damn about a morning after pill, I was more concerned about STDs, specifically HIV/AIDS. Of course, my roomie scoffed at this because "people like us don't get AIDS." Well, I never thought a person like me would have a one night stand (a bit of a prude) or unprotected sex during a one night stand. I was scared. I didn't know him, and I didn't know the women he had been with before me. I was stupid and reckless and stupid. And I was afraid... afraid to be tested, and afraid of the possible results.

Well, the test came back negative. And 6 months later, the test came back negative. And 6 months after that, the test came back negative. That one moment of stupidity haunts me to this day, and I continue to get tested, even though I've been celibate for nearly 3 years.

This is why I Rock the Red Pump...

Check out the RedPumpProject.com. These young ladies are dong great things to raise awareness of the impact of HIV/AIDS.

No comments: