Tuesday, August 31, 2010
*I started writing this a few weeks ago after an article appeared at Clutch. Finally came back to it.*
Sad can't even describe it.
This video reminds me of one cold morning back in 2008. A young mother gets on the bus with her 2 small children, a boy of about 2 and a girl of at least 5. Why she wasn't in school, I have no idea. Perhaps her mother was taking her to school. I don't know. Either way, that's not the point of the story.
So, they all pile on the bus, and the first thing I notice is the little girl's hair. It's not done, at all. And by done, I mean its all standing on top of her head. Mom probably ran out of time, and they had to get to the bus stop, and she'll do it on the bus. Ok, I'll say it. When it comes to grooming, I believe you do that ish at home, not in public, and especially not on the bus.
Then it happens... mom takes out a brush, a jar of brown gel, and a small hair tie, and proceeds to apply gel to the little girls bald edges and broken tresses to force them into a teeny weeny pony on the top of the child's head. The little girl looked miserable. And so would you if at 5 years old, your hair was completely damaged because a mother didn't take the time or have the patience to take care of her daughters hair, so she slapped a perm on it. I've seen this happen too many times to count. Little black girl has a head full of beautiful hair, mother doesn't like or doesn't know how to take care of it, and chooses to give the girl a perm rather than learn how to care for her hair. I remember my little cousin wanting a perm so badly when she was little. Now, her hair is a shell of its former self.
This isn't a post bashing perms, or the women who wear them. This is a post bashing mothers ruin their daughters hair by giving them perms at such a young age. Personally, my daughter will never have a perm, and I hope to raise her in such a way where she will never want to have perm.

1 comment:
YO! This video had me really bugging out!! My mother permed my daughters hair at 2 years old... and it wasn't too bad.... no damage thank GOD but then I, like an idiot, put a texturizer in her hair 2 and half years later... what was I thinking right??? I know i know!! She lost 8 inches off her hair... biggest mistake ever! I have had my hair permed since I was very small... perms is all I know... now I have two lil girls who have thick hair that I can't manage... I'm getting better but I just don't know how to really take care of their hair the way it should be done... THE RIGHT WAY... any tips? as far as routine? maintenence? health? let me know whenever u have the time... heavenwbc@gmail.com
Post a Comment