The Red Pump Project

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I think I am going back to latching....

About once a month, I go thru this longing to return to latching. I do really enjoy the appearance of a fresh twist, but I really prefer latching as it is more convenient for my lifestyle. I am highly active, and I wash my hair at least 2x a week. Well, of course, after all of the work I put into my retwist, after the first week it is gone. And during the summer, my hair grows out very quickly, but I stretch out the time b4 a new re-twist to 4-5 weeks. And trust me, it is a stretch, to the point I have to do a lot of separation in the shower the day of. I have been wary of return to the interlocking/latching method b/c I do not want my locks to be too thin, and I do not want to thin out the base. However, I latched for the first 6 months, and my locks looked great. They were not too thin, and they did fill out a lot. Part of the problem is that I have listened to others who are not fans of the method say how it makes locks thin and bumpy and non-cylindrical. And to be completely honest, bumpy, non-cylindrical locks don't bother me at all; I have seen some really beautiful locks that have been maintained from start to finish by latching. I mean absolutely beautiful.

Another thing is I really do not like using anything on my hair for maintenance other than my already damp hair. Of course, I absolutely love caster oil, and I love using it for twisting, but I prefer not to use anything at all. At least not for maintenance. I think I will wait and re-twist in another month, then I will see how I feel about it in mid-August.

2 comments:

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

what exactly is latching

Anonymous said...

You said you latched for the first six months and your locks did wonderfully right? If that's the case I don't see anything wrong with it. I think the biggest concern with being locked and thinning roots is over-manipulation. Go with your gut.

So many people want to give their input to how you should do your locks but everyone's different. I also agree with you on using the least amount of products. I've seen a many locked heads with so much build-up it was insane.

Again, do what you feel is right...