The Red Pump Project

Monday, July 21, 2008

The start of another week....

Today was the start of my third week at work, and I am feeling good. It is a blessing to have a job in these times of economic unrest.

While at work today, I came across this story about Disney's first black/African-American princess. I wonder what made Disney think it would be a good idea to have the first black princess be a white woman's chamber maid. Where is the imagination? And what is up with this white, and now Middle Eastern prince charming? Why are they avoiding having this black princess/heroine ride off in the sunset with a black knight in shining armor? Has Disney execs never read Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters? I think it would be wonderful if Disney chose to adapt this great story into a cartoon. It would be much more interesting than the current premise, and would actually give children and adults the opportunity to see black women and men in a very different setting from that shown in mainstream American media.

I also read a piece written by Sen Clinton about new regulations regarding women's rights and contraception. Basically, the DHHS, and the Bush admin. want so declare some forms of contraception as abortion, thus allowing for some doctors to refuse to prescribe them. I haven't done any more research on this yet, but I will definitely update this entry as soon as I have a little more info.




No comments: