The Red Pump Project

Monday, November 24, 2008

I am thankful....

I subscribe to a daily devotional, and here is what I received today in my inbox.

Thank You Power
Rachel Olsen
"Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will
for you in Christ Jesus."1 Thessalonians 5:18 (NIV)

In my (part-time) job as a university teacher, I'm frequently reading
research. I know, I know ... it sounds as dry as an over-cooked turkey.
Sometimes it is but often I find interesting stuff in that scientific prose. For
example, this week I read about a study from the University of California
that showed just how great it is to be grateful.

The researchers found that grateful people report higher levels of
positive emotions, more
satisfaction with life, and more vitality and optimism.
All good qualities I want more of in my life. They also found grateful people
show lower levels of depression and stress - two things I'd like to experience
less in my life.

What's more, they found that people who keep journals about
gratitude on a weekly basis are healthier. They exercise more regularly,
report fewer physical symptoms, and feel better in general than people who
journal about neutral or negative life events. That sounds great, and I'll
take all the help I can get in the exercise department.

Finally, the research showed that people who daily count their
blessings report higher levels of alertness, enthusiasm, determination, and
energy. Wow, the benefits of being grateful are remarkable and many! I guess
that shouldn't surprise me after considering today's key verse. The Bible urges
us to give thanks ... all the time ... in every situation ... because this
practice is the will of God.

Let me be clear, there are terrible things that happen
to us that may not be the will of God, but us praising God and giving thanks
in spite of them certainly is the will of God. As Christians, we can always
find reason to give thanks -- thanks for the salvation of Christ, the
nearness of God, and the counsel of His Spirit for starters. The psalmist
declared, "I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and
will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High" (Psalm 7:17, NIV). We
can do that too.

Christian poet John Milton once wrote about every grey cloud having a
silver lining. Purposing to give thanks, no matter the weather, will train us to
look for it. Continuing in this manner day after day ensures that gratefulness
will become our normal mode of operation.

No wonder those researchers found that people regularly counting their blessings grow happier, healthier, and more optimistic. After all, that research wasn't discovering anything new, but rather confirming the will and wisdom of God. God already knows how great it is for us to be grateful. Now "science" does too.

What can you give thanks for today?

Dear Lord, thank You for this day. Thank You for Your Son and Your
Spirit, given to me. Thank You for the provision of shelter and food I have
today. And Lord, thank You for this reminder to become more mindful of my
blessings. In Jesus' Name, Amen


I think it is a great idea to keep a daily running list of things for which you are grateful. So, I am starting my list of 10 reasons why I'm grateful today. I will do approximately 10 a day.
I am thankful....

1....for having a job in this time of economic uncertainty
2....for having my sister as a roommate in order to lesson the costs of living
3....for a being of sound mind
4....for forgiveness
5....for supportive, loving parents and siblings
6....for the opportunity to be a better person
7....for friendship
8....for a car that doesn't run well, but gets me to where I need to go
9....for emotional maturity
10....sunny days

No comments: