The Red Pump Project

Saturday, November 29, 2008

I am having a great week...maybe the best week ever?

Tuesday, November 25th--My office had a Thanksgiving potluck lunch. I an my fellow vegetarians had plenty to eat. Collards, sweet potato souffle, mac&cheese, green beans, butternut squash, etc. There was so much food. At least 2 turkeys and a smoked ham. And the meat eaters all said the meats were really good. And, I must admit, this is the first time I've had really good food prepared by 2520s. My co-worker who planned the event, an older black man, prepared all of the meats, collards, and I think he made dressing(stuffing to my northern homies). It was a good day. No complaints, but a co-worker is really starting to bug me. I'll post about that later. My sister who live in G'boro arrived today, and the fun began.

Wednesday--I worked 5 hours, and then went on my lunch date. At the Obama rally in October, I met a nice young man, and we finally were able to get together for lunch. He is a nice guy, and we have great conversation. So, we'll see what happens. Right now, I'm just enjoying it for what it is. My parents got in today around 6:30.

Thursday--I picked up my younger sis at the airport. The girls were all together for Thanksgiving, and we had a great time. My family and I ate Thanksgiving dinner with the Triangle Vegetarian Society. They hosted a vegetarian/vegan Thanksgiving dinner at a restaurant in Durham. And it was really good. It was worth every cent of my $20. And to be able to spend Thanksgiving day out of the kitchen, and just enjoying my family's company; everyone just relaxing and taking it easy...Priceless!!! I didn't make my famous vegan pumpkin cheesecake this year, but my sister made pecan pies and my mother made sweet potato bread and a pound cake. I purchased a pumpkin cheesecake, and added a pecan glaze on top. So, the pecan glaze was homemade, but this year, the cheesecake was made by Sara Lee.

Friday (Black Friday?)--My younger sis needed a new laptop, and she went out to Best Buy at 4am to stand in line to get this Toshiba laptop. She didn't get the one she wanted, but she did get a Toshiba for much cheaper than the original price. Personally, I'm a Mac. And my Macbook still works well, so I didn't need to be out at the stores extra early. But even if I did need a laptop, I would not have been up at 3 or 4 am to get into a store. That completely goes against everything I believe in. However, I did need a new camera b/c I dropped my other digi, and ruined it. So, at around 9am, I pulled into Best Buy, walked straight to the camera section, picked up the $99 Fuji w/ the free memory card, and proceeded to check out. No muss, no fuss. Later, the girls and I headed to the mall, where I purchased to sweaters from the Gap. I wanted to do a little more, but I really hate shopping in a mass sale-crazy consumers. And frankly, the last thing we need in this country is to continue to perpetuate the idea of excess and commercialism. We are going through hard economic times. Instead of retailers lowering prices the day after Thanksgiving, why not lower them, period?

We also had more traditional dinner Friday night. I made vegan dressing and Green Bean Casserole. I don't use canned cream of mushroom, I make my own using soymilk. And my green bean casserole is the best my family has ever had, and I am totally biased. The dressing was good, too. I really am a good cook. I would post a pic, but it would be mostly a picture of a pan. lol


Today, Saturday, November 29th--Just chillin...watching State(Go Wolfpack!!), and doing a little cleaning. My G'boro sister left about an hour ago, but the parentals and the youngsis is still here. I really don't feel like going anywhere today. At all!! But, I have a feeling the parentals will want to go to a few stores. And of course, I will have to be there tour guide. Oh well, that's what family's for....

I have several things I want to write about regarding Thanksgiving, and the holiday season in general. From the history of Thanksgiving to the commercialism and overconsumption perpetuated. A lot on my mind as of late, so these posts will come eventually. In the mean time, I will continue to post about whatever happens to tickle my fancy on any given day. Good times ahead!!

No comments: