The Red Pump Project

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Chemical Fire Cream? WTH!!

I just responded to a post on a natural hair board, and I just realized that the word "relaxer" is replaced by the words "chemical fire cream." Is it that serious? I understand that the site is for women and men (but mostly women) who embrace their natural hair, but I would rather not people think that those were my words when I respond to a post. What if I would write the word "perm" or "flatiron" or "press" or "straighten?" I wonder what are the secret society code words for those? lol. I think it's interesting. I don't think of relaxers as chemical fire cream ( I wonder who came up with calling it that?), but I do recognize that relaxers are a way for women of African decent to conform to the European standard of beauty that has dominated the American culture since the beginning. I'm from good ole' SC where people are still very proud of the Confederacy and long for the good ole' days. And I know many black women who are still talking about good hair (why are we still saying that in the 21st Century?) in both Carolinas and the Midwest (the second South), and calling a relaxer a chemical fire cream is not going to help these women learn to love themselves without it. I have a friend who loves her relaxer, doesn't believe in natural hair or going natural(her words), and based on a baby picture that show her with a head full of glorious hair, she can't go natural b/c her hair is too thick ( and she received confirmation for this from a stylist at a salon..."your hair is too thick to go natural" WTF!!!). But anyway, she isn't going to learn to love or even like her natural hair just b/c I start calling it a chemical fire cream.

Anyway, I just think it's interesting that the site chooses to do this.

Peace & Blessings

4 comments:

tai said...

*grin* yeah, i had to edit my own words too whenever i'd want to say "perm" or "relaxer", i thought it kinda silly too coz as u said, it ain't that serious. in all honesty, there's nothing wrong with relaxers (the apprpriate term i think since sistas don't really get "permanents") coz it's just a way to style/wear their hair.u wear your hair the way u're most comfortable with. i'm just one of those guys who want sistas to know that they CAN be just as comfortable in their natural hair b/c they're just as (if not moreso) attractive in their natural tresses than if there weren straightening it. good post, i'm sure there will be a few more responses too. *grin* happy holidays!

~Fe~ said...

That my dear is exactly why I do not post to that hair site.. lol At one time I got BLASTED for talking about heat on the hair...

N.I.A. naturally... said...

Tai...thanks for the comment. Sure, there's nothing wrong with relaxers, but there's nothing right about it either. Just look at all of the little black girls who are already losing their edges, and their hair is breaking off in the back. It's extremely unfortunate that we cannot see beauty within ourselves.
Fe...I know. I really never post on that site, unless I am giving a little update on my locks. It's crazy that they give heat and relaxers such a hard time, but condone braids and lock extensions, and other "natural" styles using false hair. And they are no more natural than relaxers.

YBW said...

I've been on the site since its original format, and over there it is that serious because some of the women there were the one's who had such horrible relaxer damage when they came that they were told it wouldn't grow back. It's also important because some people take those discussions too far. She wants to make the point that the site is a place for people to learn about their natural hair and they don't support anything that damages it(but they discuss coloring). The censors there change a lot of stuff and some of it is halarious... you didn't laugh at chemical fire cream? It's all so complicated.