The Red Pump Project

Friday, December 21, 2007

Is wearing a Weave a natural hairstyle?

Hello all...
Today has been an all around good day. I did a little shopping; actually just grocery shopping, and looking for a birthday gift for my mom. I really enjoy this time of the year, but I really cannot stand the traffic, the crowds, and the all around rudeness and inconsiderate nature of people. It really can become too much, which is why I didn't do much shopping today b/c I didn't want to be out with too long in the crowds. But, I still had a great day!!

While in the grocery store today, I stopped to peruse the magazines. I looked through the usual Essence, Ebony, Shape, Self, checked out the cover of Cosmo to see what they had to say about sex this month, and then I saw it. A magazine completely devoted to weave, wigs, and extensions. But not braids, microbraids, or kinky twists, synthetic dreads, or anything like that, but loose, straight hair weaves. Maybe I'm just really late, but I've never seen this mag before titled "Ultimate Weaves and Extensions." Because I am obviously not cool or hip, I had no idea this mag existed. I was really surprised, actually. I mean, in most of the black women hair mags, most of the models are wearing weaves, so why devote an entire mag to it. But then again, there are magazines devoted to braids, short cuts, and natural hair (however many of these include braids and other types of extensions, and not natural hair styles with a woman's own hair).

Going along with that last sentence, I really am tired of seeing so-called natural hair styles that do not show a woman's natural hair. For instance, I sometimes peruse the natural hair section of Sophisticate's Black Hair magazine, and nearly every time I look, there a plethora of pics of "natural" styles for women who do not want to show their natural hair. Is that really a natural style? Can you call an afro weave, synthetic locks, and synthetic kinky twists natural hair styles? It's funny, b/c I have worn braids and kinky twists with synthetic hair, and not once did I ever consider them to be natural styles. They were different ways of wearing false hair or weaves...anything but my natural hair in a natural style.

Ok, that's all for tonite. Time for bed.

Peace & Blessings

1 comment:

Naturally Sophia said...

Happy New Year! Thanks for commenting on my blog. I would say no to wearting a weave being natural. It is quite unnatural to wear someone else's hair or plastic on your head I think. But, as you know, I did a post because I have mixed feelings. I feel wearing a natural looking weave is more healthy mentally than wearing a straight one.