Someone in the locs section of a natural hair board posted the link for this salon http://www.unclefunkysdaughter.com/oursalon/dreadlocks.php. I decided to peruse the style gallery and the info they have about different natural hair options. To my surprise, they separated "locs" from "dreadlocks". So, I had to see why they made this distinction. Under "locs" they talk about all of the different methods we've all heard of; comb twists, 2ST, and the interlocking method. They also talk about loc extensions, which to me, is a complete waste of time when you can just grow the real thing, and experience the growth process. But I digress...Under dreadlocks, I definitely agree with some of what is said. For example,
First you should understand that obtaining dreadlocks is a process. It's not a style that you accomplish in a couple of hours or even a day. Dreadlocks even from the installation stage will require patience and a lot of maintenance to nurture their development. Realize that when your dreads are first installed, they will not look like mature dreads. In fact, your hair most likely will look like a matted mess, but this is where your patience comes in. In fact, some days your dreads will look great and other days...well...not so great.
I completely agree with this statement. Achieving dreadlocks is a process that requires patience. Now, I don't necessarily agree with the "a lot of maintenance" part b/c a lot of maintenance is relative depending on the person, but overall I agree.
Among the FAQs, there is a question that asks..."Are Dreadlocks and Locs the same" And the answer is....
A: No. "Dreadlocks" are started using a different process than "Locs". Generally, our dreadlocks are performed on non African-American clients with fine, oily, straight and/or wavy hair types. African-American hair is generally tightly coiled, not oily and dense and therefore locs can be started simply using a comb twist method. Additionally, we use a wax product on non African-American hair types because it helps to maintain the hold needed on straighter hair however we don't recommend wax on African-American hair types.
Ok...so there is a different process to start the 2. But are they really different? I was in the mall Wednesday, and a young man told me he liked my dreads (and I grinned from ear to ear and said thank you) not my locs. I often use locks and dreads interchangeably when talking about my own or my sisters, or anyone else we may see. And when people see me, they refer to my hair as dreads or dreadlocks, unless they themselves are trying to achieve locks, then they say locs. And, can black folk not achieve dreadlocks? I know that it is very possible for us to grow dreadslocks without using any particular maintenance process like 2ST or interlocking, and have great locks. I also know that we can have dreadlocks even if we do start them with a particular method. I've seen hundreds of fotki and blogs of people with beautiful dreads, locks and dreadlocks. Are the more manicured locks called locs and the freeform/modified freeform called dreads or dreadlocks? Obviously, it is a matter of perception. Obviously, I don't see it. Call my hair dreads, locks, or dreadlocks. I can appreciate the significance and the history of them all.
I think it is very interesting how we label our dreads when they are all just locks of our hair matted together, the only difference being how they were started, and to maintain or to not maintain. I wonder would people get offended if someone said they had dreads or dreadlocks? I hope not, I think it is a high compliment.
Please forgive the resemblance to rambling...it is 1:19 est, and I am tired. Peace & Blessings

No comments:
Post a Comment