First thing firsts...Sen. Clinton won WV, as we all knew she would. I am really disgusted by the racial tone of her campaign in the past week, and the racial tones by the media. We really cannot afford to have another 8 years of GW politics. We need to get out of Iraq, we need help with the company, gas prices...basically, we need a member of the Democratic party in the White House. I am praying that all Americans recognize this, and do the damn thing in November.
Now, on to what I really want to discuss....
Soon (June 7th to be exact) I would have been growing locks for a year. No great feat, since I plan to have them forever, but since everyone else seems to get so excited about the 6mth and the 1st year mark, I feel I have to mention it. Granted, it was cool to see how far they have come at the 6mth mark, and now, I see even more of a change as I approach 1yr. At the beginning of this lock voyage, and even before, I perused various sites, and when I found THE natural hair site, and THE lock board, I was so happy to see soo many women and men with locks. I was mainly interested in seeing the locks of those who have had them for at least 5 years, and I found many great locked heads with great, inspirational stories. And, I have learned so much from reading many of the great topics on the lock board. However, it seems that in the past 3-4 months or so, some of the topics have gotten redundant, and absolutely ridiculous...insane, even. I have questioned (to myself, of course) where do people get these things? Where do they hear these things? Glue, gum, and shit? Like I said, I am new to locking b/c it's only been 11 mths, but I never remember seeing posts like these last year, or any time before that. Maybe I missed them if they were there.
And, how can anyone on the board help you if you think your forehead is to big for locks? If, when considering locking, your first thought is your forehead, you probably are not ready to embrace locks or your big forehead, and you should wait until you can accept who you are for who you are, or get a relaxer and some bangs and cover up that big thing....I'm being silly here....but, seriously, if something as superficial as that plays in your decision to lock....oh well.
Now, those are just a few of the topics I have found interesting and entertaining, but there is an overall vibe that doesn't sit well with me. I really miss seeing posts from some of the "old head" lockers. I think I am going to create a post for all of the "old heads" to respond. Just to say, what's up!!
Sometimes, it feels that wearing locks has become the new "perm" for some black women....

No comments:
Post a Comment